Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Carema "White Label" 2005



I bought this bottle from a charming Italian wine shop called Le Vigne on Greenwich Street. (The name I will find out) This particular producer has a reputation for turning out phenomenal Nebbiolo wines, and their "White Label" wine is a real guest pleaser- in fact it's really more than pleasing, it's something you break out when you want to impress without reaching for one of those 'gems' you'd been saving.

When I first tasted this, I immediately was drawn to the elegance in the long finish- suggestive of something worth cellaring... But if you are a fan of this, I would get the Black Labeled version as an investment.

Immediately upon decanting, aromas of java and dark fresh cherries filled my senses... possibly even toffee and roses. I wanted to say chocolate next but needed a more expressive flavour for bitter that wouldn't take away from it's complete smoothness- Raw Cacao Nibs. Anyone who has has smelled them, would immediately recognize this scent, and it's a really beautiful, natural, and earthy aroma. The color is divine, one you'd imagine could play ode to Dionysus himself- that of deep crushed blackberry; thick and alluring.

The tannins were smooth and inviting at first taste, and evolved with the temperature. This is a medium to full bodied wine, with a weight to match. The finish was so long that I advise waiting to take the next sip, (as if it were your first) when that finish fully recedes.

I longed to pair this with a really rare rack of lamb bedded atop sauteed kale, seasoned with a little Celtic sea salt and rosemary, or possibly a sweet chutney instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment